Reviews On the Outside Tragic Endings

On the Outside

Tragic Endings

No Warning officially called it quits in late 2005, but for most of us, the band died when this photograph surfaced. I figured No Warning was headed for a career in rock-n-roll's vast array of mediocre bands that came from a hardcore background, and then put out incredibly crappy albums. Remember DYS's Fire and Ice, or Uniform Choice's Staring into the Sun, or maybe even Leeway's Adult Crash? If you do, you probably shouldn't, because they all sucked and you can add No Warning's Suffer, Survive directly onto that pile of filth.

Luckily, we have On the Outside to take up the mantle of tough-as-nails hardcore with a no bullshit attitude. On the Outside sounds so much like Ill Blood era No Warning that I had look to see if there was any members of No Warning in the band. There aren't any members of No Warning here, though there is one of the guitar players from Outbreak. Neat.

Tragic Endings is to No Warning's Ill Blood as Ill Blood is to The Cro-Mags' Age of Quarrel with its menacing down tuned metallic approach to hardcore. I can see tons of violet moshing and some synchronized two-stepping in pits all across North America. Damn, you had better learn to hold your arm out or duck; if not you might take an unneeded fist or foot to the face. 90% of the songs on Tragic Endings are centered on how many mosh parts a band can throw into a two to three minute song. The other 10% are just around for filler fast parts and one extremely wanky guitar solo in "Everything I Used to Be."

Tragic Endings is a decent albeit somewhat generic tough guy hardcore album. There's really nothing new on here that you haven't heard in the last three or four years. You know exactly when the mosh part or the two step part is coming. You know at the exact moment when the big gang vocal part is going to take place. Certainly nothing new under the sun here but the production is crisp and clear and it's a fun listen. If you aren't expecting much from your typical mosh mayhem hardcore band then On the Outside will be perfect for you as you try and forget the lead singer of No Warning is actually sporting a scarf in the picture above. Hopefully, On the Outside will never put out a rock album, either. One can only pray.

5.0 / 10Jason
Advertisement
RevHG - banner
Leave a comment

Thorp

2005

5.0 / 10

5.0 / 10

Share this content
Advertisement
All Downhill From Here
Recent reviews

Skrillex

Recess

5.0 / 10 Skrillex - Recess album cover

Electronic musician Skrillex’s 2014 debut full length album Recess (released on the Atlantic label) starts with a track called “All’s Fair in Love and Brostep.” That says almost everything one needs to ...

The War On Drugs

Lost In The Dream

9.3 / 10 The War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream album cover

The Philadelphia rock scene is famous for producing indie bands heavily dosed on vintage, classic rock. Folker Kurt Vile recalls Bob Dylan and neo-psychedelia band Dr.Dog draws upon Big Star. You probably know Vile from when he packed all ...

Tiny Empires

Weird Headspace

7.2 / 10 Tiny Empires - Weird Headspace album cover

Tiny Empires seek to build something new; something powerful, significant, and memorable, just as the name suggests. With their debut record Weird Headspace they’re doing just that. It’s big, grasping, and expansive ...

x

Logo

Looking for the SPB logo? You can download it in a range of styles and colours here:

Click anywhere outside this dialog to close it, or press escape.