On July 31 a new digital collection named Cover Charge: NC Artists Go Under Cover To Benefit Cat's Cradle will be released to help raise funds for Cat's Cradle, a live venue in Carrboro, North Carolina that has served as an epicenter of musical activity for fifty years. Due to COVID-19 and the related cancellation of live events, the venue is struggling to maintain solvency.
The upcoming Cover Charge includes 25 songs by North Carolina artists including The Mountain Goats, Superchunk, Sarah Shook & the Disarmers, Iron & Wine, and more -- the covers are of artists ranging from Paradise Lost to Beck, Madonna, Kris Kristofferson and more).
Pre-orders are available now and come with an early release of five songs from the record.
“I, and the rest of the Cat's Cradle family, have been bowled over by the concern being shown for music venues both here and around the country,” Frank Heath, owner of Cat’s Cradle, says in a statement. “The fact that so much great music can come from just one place is amazing in and of itself–as folks will find out when they hear the songs on the Cover Charge compilation. Learning about this effort to assist the Cradle, has just reinforced another wonderful thing that we really already knew, that so many of the Triangle's great artists and musicians are also amazing and caring people, who value and want to help protect Cat's Cradle, and who also genuinely care about all of the other artists and the entire music community. This alone is huge, and it helps me to believe that more of us will come through this pandemic with fewer permanent scars.”
Cover Charge Track Listing:
1. Superchunk - "Can't Stop the World" (The Go-Go's)
2. Sarah Shook & the Disarmers - "Apocalypse" (Cigarettes After Sex)
3. Hiss Golden Messenger and Jonathan Wilson - "Travellin’ in Style" (Free)
4. The dB's - "I'm on an Island" (The Kinks)
5. Steep Canyon Rangers - "Unknown Legend" (Neil Young)
6. Eric Bachmann & Skylar Gudasz - "All I Have to Do is Dream" (The Everly Brothers)
7. The Connells - "Keep Your Distance" (Richard Thompson)
8. Mandolin Orange - "Boots of Spanish Leather" (Bob Dylan)
9. The Love Language - "Everything Flows" (Teenage Fanclub)
10. Dex Romweber (feat. Jennifer Curtis) - "A Face in the Crowd" (Andy Griffith)
11.Tift Merritt - "Help Me Make It Through The Night" (Kris Kristofferson)
12. The Old Ceremony - "Alone Again Or" (Love)
13. Mayflies USA - "There is a Light that Never Goes Out" (The Smiths)
14. The Mountain Goats - "The Longest Winter" (Paradise Lost)
15. Faith Jones - "For What It's Worth" (Buffalo Springfield)
16. Mipso - "Long Distance Love" (Little Feat)
17. Terry Anderson and The Olympic-Ass Kickin Team - "Every Night" (Paul McCartney)
18. Florence Dore - "Somewhere Down the Line" (Marshall Crenshaw)
19. Southern Culture on the Skids - "Let's Work Together" (Canned Heat)
20. Iron & Wine - "Piss Diary" (Kingsbury Manx)
21. Mount Moriah - "Don't Let It Bring You Down" (Neil Young)
22. Sam Melo of Rainbow Kitten Surprise - "Stars" (Janis Ian)
23. Don Dixon & Marti Jones - "Respoken" (The Lovin Spoonful)
24. Chatham County Line - "Think I'm in Love" (Beck)
25. The Veldt - "Dress You Up" (Madonna)
Merge Records has released a new covers album called Going to Georgia, featuring covers of songs originally written by Georgia ...
It's another bandcamp Friday, which means more goodies in a year that's had lots of unpleasantness as well ...
Following up their work on a four-way split from this past year, San Diego group Slow Draw earlier this week ...
Formed in 2000 by Argentinian brothers Ariel and Diego Sima, Farmacia has worked over the years on a variety of ...
Looking for the SPB logo? You can download it in a range of styles and colours here:
Click anywhere outside this dialog to close it, or press escape.