Secret Fun Club (Sal Gallegos III)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2020? (In order 1-5)
- Planet on a Chain - This Won't Get Any Fucking Better
- Carcass - Despicable
- Engine Kid - Bear Catching Fish remaster
- Fu Manchu - Fu30 pt.1
- Bitter Branches - This May Hurt A Bit
2. What band did you discover in 2020 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
Process Black. I’ve been a huge fan of Tim Singer for many years but somehow this release slipped under my radar until early this year.
3. How will you remember 2020? (In terms of music)
I don’t necessarily think 2020 will be remembered as a bright spot in music history, but I think there will be a lot of music released in 2021 that was created in 2020. Lots of musicians I know I’ve been creating and collaborating on new things remotely with other musicians they would normally not.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2021?
I guess my answer is sort of intertwined with the previous answer. My band Secret Fun Club has been writing a new record as well as a couple new projects and collaborations I’ve been working on.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2021?
I don’t really follow what bands are currently recording new records, but I can definitely see lots of new records being released next year by bands and even solo records by people who are taking full advantage of staying at home and finding new ways to be creative.
6. Trying to put a positive spin on things, what is your favorite development from the global pandemic this year? (Is there a new medium you enjoy, a specific song or collaboration, personal news, etc. that was a bright spot?)
I would have to say my favorite development from this pandemic is the amount of new interesting collaborations that I’m seeing being done electronically. I almost feel like this pandemic was the show that musicians needed to embrace technology and start to do more remote collaborations. Almost every musician has or should have some kind of recording software on a computer or even phone handy.