Enrique Sagarnaga (Season of Mist - publicist)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2013? (In order 1-5)
- Gorguts - Colored Sands
- Nightbringer/Dodsengel - Circumambulations of the Solar Inferno
- Cult of Fire - ?????? ?? ????? ????????
- Bolzer - Aura
- Nocturnal Graves - From the Bloodline of Cain
2. What band did you discover in 2013 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
I discovered an array of new black metal bands that belong in the realm of occult music. The lyrics are both powerful and inspiring, and the music is always full of ambitious atmospheres. New bands include Irkallian Oracle, Svartidaudi, Situs Magus, etc.
3. How will you remember 2013? (In terms of music)
One of the better years for the progression of metal into the eyes of the mainstream. Seeing Gorguts' new record land on Rolling Stone's best metal records of the year showcases how far we've come as a genre and as a label.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2014?
New music from Cynic, Floor, Weedeater, Hark, Beyond Creation, Archspire, Cannabis Corpse and more!
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2014?
Hopefully an output from Deathspell Omega!
6. There is a lot of debate over streaming sites and royalties, namely with Spotify. What is your stance on the economic policies behind the current streaming services? Do you have a preferred one?
I am all the for the promotion and spreading of music. Sites like Spotify do pay small percentages of royalties to artists, however, the benefit is reaped in exposure. Spotify, Bandcamp, blogs streaming music from new bands, and YouTube have helped me discover bands I would have likely not known about previously. I feel that discerning music fans who really care about their music will purchase physical formats, regardless of their availability on streaming services.
Personally, I love Bandcamp the most. The site offers great streaming services, and allow bands and labels alike to sell their music and merchandise effectively. Bandcamp discovery is a great way to find new bands, and take a look at other people's collections.