Will Butler (To Live a Lie Records)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2013? (In order 1-5)
- Impulse - Chula Violence 7"
- The Abused - Loud and Clear LP
- Fistula - Northern Aggression LP
- Archagathus / Nak'ay - split 10"
- Bastard Noise/Lack Of Interest - split LP
2. What band did you discover in 2013 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
I'm going to sound like a poser on this one but I had never heard the early Rudimentary Peni EPs. Some of the craziest, fastest, and well-written songs for that time and holds its power now. I've known about the Neos and Electro Hippies as early fast bands, but the 1981 s/t EP by RP is the perfect amount of pissed and snotty and the songs are super memorable.
3. How will you remember 2013? (In terms of music)
2013 is another year I didn't go crazy putting out too many records. I tried to take a bit of a break from releasing records at my 100th record in 2013 but that wasn't much of a break. I put out two local bands' LPs in 2013 so this was a great year to showcase what Raleigh, NC has for everyone and it really feels good to support great local music.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2014?
TLAL Volume II LP will be dropping early 2014 finally, featuring songs from bands such as Vaccine, Low Threat Profile, and Weekend Nachos. I just announced what will be coming out this year:
- TLAL101 – Cave State – Self Titled 7"
- TLAL102 – Fistula – Vermin Prolificus LP
- TLAL103 – Rabid Pigs – Spoiled Heat LP
- TLAL104 – Water Torture – TBA LP
- TLAL105 – Sidetracked – Hired Gun LP
- TLAL106 – Impulse – TBA 7"
Represses for 2014:
- TLAL57 – Sidetracked – Uniform 7"
- TLAL64 – ACxDC – He Had It Coming/Second Coming gatefold 2×7" (pink vinyl)
- TLAL64 – ACxDC – Second Coming 7" (green vinyl)
- TLAL66 – Curmudgeon – s/t 7" (gray vinyl)
- TLAL92 – ACxDC / Sex Prisoner / Magnum Force – split 10" (updating packaging, ?? color vinyl)
Pretty packed year at the HQ but won't be taking on more projects. Also on January 12th I'm doing a low key fest in Raleigh with Assholeparade, Sex Prisoner, Abuse., and Genocide Pact.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2014?
I'll keep my eyes peeled for whatever Deep Six, Six Weeks, and Diseased Audio crank out in 2014.
6. There is a lot of debate over streaming sites and royalties, namely with Spotify. What is your stance on the economic policies behind the current streaming services? Do you have a preferred one?
I'm all for it... stream everything. Spotify doesn't pay well, and if you have a problem with that... then don't use it. I have bought a few albums from bands I've heard on Pandora so there is some unseen money generated from these services by getting bands out there. I'm all for streaming music and having it out there, because in the DIY punk underground file sharing and streaming is akin to tape dubbing/trading of long ago. Get it out there, music for the people who want to hear it! I don't think of my label as a business, I look out for the bands I deal with as much as I can, put I'm also their number one fan and I want people to hear them and love them and get their releases if they are so inclined.