Rainer Fronz (Learning Curve Records)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2013? (In order 1-5)
- Whores – Clean
- Monogamy Party – False Dance
- Blind Shake – Key To a False Door
- STNNNG - Empire Inward
- Pissed Jeans - Honeys
2. What band did you discover in 2013 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
3. How will you remember 2013? (In terms of music)
Kind of a blur, missed a lot of it with the expansion of our family. Since 2014 is going to be so awesome, I guess it will be remembered as the planning year for 2014.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2014?
Debut LP from UK’s Henry Blacker, Disasteratti’s second LP, LCR debut from Animal Lover, Debut LP from North Carolina’s Power Take Off, Butcher’s Waltz Vol 2., Debut LP from San Antonio’s Grasshopper Lies Heavy, a Record Store Day release and some other top secret goodies!!!
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2014?
See previous list.
6. There is a lot of debate over streaming sites and royalties, namely with Spotify. What is your stance on the economic policies behind the current streaming services? Do you have a preferred one?
I have always been a proponent of streaming sites. It presents the opportunity for an individual to listen to something they might not have otherwise. Getting played on radio/featured in press isn’t always feasible for many artists and labels. However, the royality system for these sites is crap. It is the new reality of music. The ideal situation would be that someone streams a band, then goes to band’s site and purchases a physical copy. There is nothing more frustrating then receiving a statement from a streaming site, indicating 50 streams that generate 6 cents. Thanks Internet.