Daryl (Razorcake/ Spokenest)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2013? (In order 1-5)
- Acid Fast - Rabid Moon (cassette on Stupid Bag, LP soon on Protagonist)
- Tony Molina - Dissed and Dismissed (Melters)
- Blank Pages - Self-titled (Hardware)
- Low Culture - Screens (Dirtnap)
- Xaxaxa - Siromašni I Bogati (Moonlee / Napravi Zaedno / Prugelprinz / Gaphals / Pank)
I don’t feel entirely comfortable because of the role I played in it being released, but Badlands, So Little (http://outinthedesert.bandcamp.com) belongs somewhere on there.
2. What band did you discover in 2013 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
Acid Fast! We played with them in Oakland on our May West Coast tour, and there was no doubt it felt good. I really enjoyed the band, they were all sweet people, the show was held in the drummer’s living room, and then I heard the record. It destroys. I love everything about it. I’ve had to deal with a CDR of it for months and can’t wait to get a copy of the vinyl at some point in 2014.
If you’re like me, you dearly miss Homerowners. Acid Fast make the longing a little easier. Ultra tight male/female vocal trade-offs. Honest, worthwhile music. The breakdowns at the end of Hannah’s songs get me every time. The sound clips still make me laugh. I listen to this CDR a lot.
3. How will you remember 2013? (In terms of music)
It was a year we – musically – went out on our own. Self-releasing the Spokenest 12” EP and the Badlands cassette. But also saw some of our oldest friends sign to a major. A lot of questioning, and the answers are still unapparent.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2014?
Razorcake will be releasing the debut LP from LA’s White Murder. It’ll be a split release with Recess, as well as releasing a 7” from NY’s Chantey Hook (ex-Super Chinchilla Rescue Mission). That’ll be a split release with ADD.
Spokenest is releasing a 4-song cassette. Short run of 100. Hopefully we’ll be doing a couple of these and then releasing them all as an LP.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2014?
Acid Fast, Tim Version.
6. There is a lot of debate over streaming sites and royalties, namely with Spotify. What is your stance on the economic policies behind the current streaming services? Do you have a preferred one?
Are any of these sites viable sources of income? It seems like just another trade-off of exposure and accessibility for someone else making money off advertising. With that people get to listen to your music and possibly find out about your music, but don’t expect any money. I don’t have a preferred one, but I’ve never received a cent of royalties in my life, and only use sites that I understand.