Joe Steinhardt (Don Giovanni Records)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2014? (In order 1-5)
- Ex Hex - Rips (Merge)
- Pinkwash - Your Cure Your Soil (Sister Polygon)
- Mitski - Bury Meet At Makeout Creek (Double Double Wammy)
- The Goodbye Party - Silver Blues (Salinas)
- The Realbads - Here Come The Realbads (Sweet Baby God)
2. What band did you discover in 2014 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
Aside from the artists on the label, I met a bunch of people who really changed my life this year: Mary Timony, Joey and Ashley of Pinkwash, and everyone in Downtown Boys. Musically they bring me a lot of joy, but as people they really inspire me.
3. How will you remember 2014? (In terms of music)
I've been a fan of his work for a very long time, but this year I got to meet and work with Peter Stampfel and its a friendship that has really inspired me in a lot of ways.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2015?
A lot of really great records!
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2015?
Aside from what we're doing I'm really excited to hear the new Speedy Ortiz record.
6. What trend will you forever associate with 2014 in music?
The snarky answer is that all the emo bands that were pop punk bands are now shoegaze bands...The more serious answer is that it's been really nice to see bands start to be more politically aware both of the broader world and their own local scene politics.