Michael Phillips (Escapist Records)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2014? (In order 1-5)
- Hollow Earth - Silent Graves (Panic)
- Seizures - The Sanity Universal (Melotov)
- Ryan Adams - s/t (Pax AM)
- Thou - Heathen (Gilead Media)
- Taylor Swift - 1989 (Big Machine)
2. What band did you discover in 2014 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
2014 was a rediscovery of Kyuss for me. Their records had been sitting on my shelves for a while gathering dust and one day I stopped at the record plant to pick up a project and I overheard them previewing Kyuss reissues. I went home and dug out my records, put them on, and rekindled that love for them. Their sound is so unique; Kyuss truly are one of the most original heavy bands of the last twenty years.
3. How will you remember 2014? (In terms of music)
2014 was the year I got to work with one of my favorite bands of all time in handling the reissue of Turmoil’s The Process Of. It was awesome to work with them on a project but also I become friends with them as a result of it.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2015?
There is only one release officially set for 2015, that is Foxfires' first full-length. They record in January so I imagine that will be a late spring release. There are other things in the pipeline, but nothing finalized just yet.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2015?
The new Withdrawal LP.
6. What trend will you forever associate with 2014 in music?
The fact that trends still exist. Bands/labels/etc. just need to write and release the music that they want. Ignore the trends.