Halo of Flies Records
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2014? (In order 1-5)
- Totem Skin - Still Waters Run Deep
Swedish hardcore that is equal epic crust ala early Fall Of Efrafa as it is a grindcore/screamo hybrid like a more layered Cloud Rat. This band could be huge.
- Killers Walk Among Us - s/t
Swedes again, this time basically the melancholic pop/postrock project of one sadly passed Stefan Holmberg who took his own life before the record was released. The most uplifting and yet saddest record of the year. If they were still a band/if he were still alive, it'd be my record of the year. Part of why it's not is because its already over..
- Insomnium - Shadows of the dying sun
Finnish melo-death that I discovered via a top 10 list of some sort earlier this year. This record is why Opeth and In Flames used to be good. Metal that is strangely relaxing and catchy? I'll take it.
- Anaal Nathrakh - Desideratum
This one's a smidge too industrial for me, but these Brits are relentless. Every record is a variation of being scraped across concrete. It Makes me want to punch my entire neighborhood from the confines of my office.
- Storm Warrior - Thunder & Steele
Power metal by the way of Germany, where it's still a national treasure. Every record they've done is great, but this one is the newest and thankfully the best.
- If you missed Helloween from 28 years ago.
2. What band did you discover in 2014 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
Totem Skin. I got excited about a hardcore band/record I wasn't releasing. That's significant. Not kidding, this record is really really good.
3. How will you remember 2014? (In terms of music)
There was a ton of stuff to check out, and I rarely found the time. Mainstream media outlets dabbled or dove headlong into extreme music coverage, which is awesome, and partly due to a few strong personalities/writers as well as a change in tastes.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2015?
A new CLOUD RAT LP, an ANCST LP, SUFFERING MIND/LIFES split 7", PRIMITIVE MAN/NORTHLESS split LP, a few other things I can't confirm.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2015?
A new KLIMT 1918 LP, a new THE WAR GOES ON LP, a new TOTEM SKIN LP.
6. What trend will you forever associate with 2014 in music?
Tabloid music coverage and the endless bickering over what are trends, deserving of hype, or what is/isn't hipster nonsense.
ex: deafheaven, babymetal, etc. "Forever associate" is a stretch, mind you. I dont really care in the end.