La Escalera Records/Western Settings (Will Castro)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2018? (Preferably in order 1-5)
- Mercy Music - Until The End Of Your World
- Squarecrow - Before The Sun Catches Us All
- The Shell Corporation - Fucked
2. What band did you discover in 2018 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
I discovered Kali Masi from Chicago. I had the privilege to tour with these gentlemen with Western Settings and seeing them play live every night was a treat and they're some of the most genuine and kind people I've met and their music is not that bad. Good things coming from these folks in 2019.
3. How will you remember 2018? (In terms of music)
More of the same just like every year. Nothing really stood out.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2019?
La Escalera will be putting the brakes on for a little bit but we have a few things coming in 2019. Regan Ashton (problem daughter) will be putting out an EP with us. I really wanna get my hands on the new DFMK record, but we will see about that. We're releasing a vinyl version of Hey Chels (ricky from Western Settings' other band). We have some cool re-issues for Problem Daughter and Western Settings coming out and a few others I'm sure. We look forward to hosting more bands and making La Escalera Fest 8 a little bigger this year. Western Settings is headed to Europe for some festivals in May 2019.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2019?
Western Settings is putting out their new one. Problem Daughter has one coming up. DFMK has a new full-length coming. But I'd really like to finally get my hands on the new Dead To Me record.
6. Right now there are two primary types of digital services: subscription streaming and the bandcamp approach that's more individualized. Do you have a preference and what direction do you think future streaming/download services will move toward?
I think more of these streaming platforms are in the works, I just want the most exposure and access for smaller bands that also take care of the artist with fair dividends from plays, streams and such.