Mark Glick (AJJ)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2016? (In order 1-5)
- Jeff Rosenstock - Worry
- Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
- Slothrust - Everyone Else
- The Body - No One Deserves Happiness
- Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
2. What band did you discover in 2016 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
I've always appreciated David Bowie, but this year I went back and gave a lot of his records a deeper listen. Since we covered "Quicksand" for AV Club, I've gotten a totally new appreciation for the composition and little details that went into so much of his work. It's significant because I feel like you unlock an achievement when one of the well-regarded masters finally makes sense to you.
3. How will you remember 2016? (In terms of music)
I'll remember 2016 as the year that a bunch of cool people did cool things. Diners & ROAR (Phoenix friends) both released incredible albums. Every band on SideOneDummy released a great record this year. I also took advantage of having Spotify for the first time and went back to revisit a bunch of the music I listened to in high school, so 2016 was a year of looking back to me as well. It holds up because I'm great and have great taste. Outside of music, 2016 was mostly on fire.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2017?
More touring, more insane zines, more great internet presence.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2017?
RTJ3, Emperor X, Hard Girls, Smith Street Band, Grandaddy
6. What would you like to see more of when it comes to music coverage websites (such as ours)?
Book club style group discussions of records instead of just one person writing a review.