Justin Pearson (Retox/Head Wound City/Dead Cross/Three One G)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2016? (In order 1-5)
- Doomsday Student - A Self-Help Tragedy
- David Bowie - Blackstar
- Silent - A Century Of Abuse
- Invisible Skratch Piklz - The 13th Floor
- MSTRKRFT - Operator
2. What band did you discover in 2016 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
I would say that artists have impacted me more than bands in general. Certain artists, that I already knew or knew of, but impacted me in 2016, made some sort of significant impact due to the world we live in. Relevant art is a reflection of current times. So people like Jung Sing from Silent, who I already knew as a band mate, but discovered his band this year made an impact on me. Or hearing D-Styles on the new Invisible Skratch Piklz LP and having him sing on one of the tacks was impactful. And of course, the people I am lucky and grateful to work with in the projects that I am part of are the most significant and impactful to me all the time.
3. How will you remember 2016? (In terms of music)
I’m not sure music or even art in general is looked at by year. There was certain bands, or albums, or songs that have played important parts in past years in my entire life so far, but I never really know the relevance of that music till I can reflect back and see it in retrospect.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2017?
I’m currently working on a new album from Plant B, and finally releasing the Dead Cross album that we have been working on for a while. I’m certain other stuff will pop up along the way.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2017?
The stuff I am unaware of.
6. What would you like to see more of when it comes to music coverage websites (such as ours)?
Probably more stuff like The Hard Times.