Seth Gile (Arms Aloft)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2016? (In order 1-5)
I think most of these are from 2015, but they were *my* top 5 from 2016. Every record’s a “grower” on me, so I’m late to everything.
- Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion
- Idle Empress - S/T EP
- Mauvaise Pioche - Premier Tirage
- Gouge Away - , Dies
- Hyuna - A’wesome
2. What band did you discover in 2016 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
The podcast "Chapo Trap House" might’ve contributed more to saving my life and/or sanity more than any music this year. If you’re sick of Daily Show liberal civility, and want to hear someone just call the right, "Fascist fucking freaks" or whatever, recommended listening.
3. How will you remember 2016? (In terms of music)
Well, it’s the best year we’ve had as a band by really any measure. Had so much fucking fun, put out a record we thought we’d never finish, got to do some insane gigs… I’ll mostly remember it for Arms Aloft shit, I guess. Call me selfish. It’s been a really exciting year to be in this band.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2017?
Headed to Europe with our French brothers Guerilla Poubelle in the spring and then I think we’re going to do an EP when we get home. But that second idea’s about 80 hours old.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2017?
Propagandhi if it’s out this year. Dillinger Four (yeah right). Sylvan Esso. Maybe new Carly? There’s supposed to be a Dead To Me LP, right? That would be wonderfully welcome.
6. What would you like to see more of when it comes to music coverage websites (such as ours)?
Don’t be so fuckin nice all the time. I get that everybody wants to write about stuff they’re excited about, but it’s refreshing to see somebody get called on bullshit every once in a while. It can be us, even. Somebody do a thinkpiece about how shitty our haircuts are or something.