Qui / Cunts (Matt Cronk)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2019? (In order 1-5)
- Torche - Admission
- Hepa.Titus - Blue Fat Pussy
- Sleaford Mods - Eton Alive
- Cocky Bitches - Mercy
- Idles - A Beautiful Thing: Idles Live at le Bataclan
2. What band did you discover in 2019 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
Wolf Eyes. I was aware of them before and actually played a festival with them in Italy a few years ago, but I didn’t really connect with what they were doing. This year I decided to check them out again and found myself really enjoying it. I like a lot of squeak-and-fart-type noise stuff and really got off on their harshness. I like to listen to them in the car.
3. How will you remember 2019? (In terms of music)
I dunno, the years all start to run together after a while. This year I spent about a month listening to “Borstal Boys,” by The Faces on repeat. Prior to this year I’d never heard it. It has that same Sticky Fingers-era Stones feel that I can’t get enough of. I also grew a mustache this year so, ya know, that.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2020?
In February Cunts will be playing some dates with the Melvins and Hepa.Titus. During that run we will get to play with Mr. Bungle and the Melvins at the Fonda Theater in LA. Super stoked for that. We’re also working on getting to Europe in the Spring. Qui is in the woodshed writing new music but will release an EP later this spring. We have plans to do a short-ish EU run in Oct.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2020?
- Run The Jewels 4
- Algiers - There Is No Year
6. What is your favorite way to pass time while on tour? Any apps, podcasts, etc you're into?
On the last Qui tour in May, we started listening to audiobooks; mostly murder mystery, trashy stuff. It wound up being a great way to pass time in the van. Other than that, I like to take naps and try not to eat too much candy. That takes up a lot of my bandwidth because I have an insatiable sweet tooth and I have to be very deliberate about limiting my sugar intake. Otherwise, I’ll just eat it compulsively until I get sick. It also makes me super grouchy.