Dirt Cult Records / Low Culture / Macho Boys (Chris Mason)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2019? (In order 1-5)
This list could change at any given moment, but for now I'll just say:
- Hidden Spots – New Me, New You
- Martha – Love Keeps Kicking
- Amyl and the Sniffers – s/t
- Mountain Goats - In League with Dragons
- Loose Nukes – Behind the Screen
2. What band did you discover in 2019 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
Though the band isn't a new discovery by any means, a large chunk of this year was spent just diving head first into the Mountain Goats extensive discography, and realizing that they're easily one of my favorite bands ever. I also discovered that I fucking love The Kinks.
3. How will you remember 2019? (In terms of music)
Sadly, 2019 easily holds the record for the year I played and attended the least amount of shows in my adult life. I still love going to shows and certainly still make it to more than most people, but the older I get, the harder it is to find the motivation to attend every show I would like to. Maybe I'll turn that trend around in 2020.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2020?
In terms of band stuff, Low Culture will be playing some shows in the Pacific Northwest and Midwest in 2020. In terms of Dirt Cult stuff, we have some releases for Era Bleak, Primitive Teeth, and Needles//Pins lined up in 2020. I'm sure some other stuff will materialize as well. It always does.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2020?
Aside from what Dirt Cult has coming up, I'm not really in the loop about what's in store for 2020. I've heard about a few releases like a new Dark Thoughts LP on Drunken Sailor and a Personality Cult LP on Dirtnap though. Otherwise, I'll be monitoring labels like Sorry State, Beach Impediment, Feel It, Iron Lung, Dead Broke, etc. to see what they've got lined up for 2020.
6. What is your favorite way to pass time while on tour? Any apps, podcasts, etc you're into?
I didn't tour in 2020, but I do listen to a fair amount of podcasts. Behind the Bastards, Reveal, and Turned Out a Punk are a few of my favorites.