Cloud Rat (Brandon Hill - drums/electronics)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2019? (In order 1-5)
- Pedestrian Deposit - Dyer's Hands (Monorail Trespassing)
- Clipping. - There Existed An Addiction To Blood (Sub Pop)
- Dead C - Rare Ravers (Ba Da Bing!)
- False - Portent (Gilead Media)
- Devourment - Obscene Majesty (Relapse Records)
2. What band did you discover in 2019 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
HUGE vital question.
Wow. The year started off with a deep study of Pauline Olivero's works via this amazing box-set Important Records put out. Her vision and approach to sound and more over, 'deep listening' is unparalleled and awe inspiring. BEST zone.
3. How will you remember 2019? (In terms of music)
Very heavy and vividly rich with great works -- SO many boundary pushing releases in ALL genres. Artists of the last 15 years got more mature and vivid. Death metal is having a huge renaissance. Electronics and noise have seeped their way deep into even the most pop of releases, and hip-hop was stronger than ever. Love it.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2020?
Doing some really rad festival dates and cool tours with some people we are excited to jam with!! Hope to drop some truly WEIRD music in 2020 -- Keep it strange!!!
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2020?
New Today Is The Day!!! DEFTONES, Whatever Griselda drops, new Kakerlak, Grimes, Kesha, and apparently like a lost Static-X album!? Woah.
6. What is your favorite way to pass time while on tour? Any apps, podcasts, etc you're into?
Deeply into Last Podcast On The Left - Rorik and Madi just went and caught them live! But lots of weird true crime, nerdy videogame ones and shit.
Personally I like to listen to records!!! But I might force these cats to swallow NOISEXTRA which is a noise-centric podcast helmed by some brilliant L.A. dwelling noise artists that used to live here in Michigan -- Killer!!!
Photo by Ryan Vestil