Forever Unclean (Leo Wallin)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2019? (In order 1-5)
I am always a bit behind -- probably because it takes a while for me to get into an album. Therefore all my favorite recent albums are from '17/18. However if I were to choose some from this year that definitely caught my attention and that I think will be my favs next year, it would be:
- AddisAbabaBand - II - Full on crazyness from this Danish balkan/punk/jazz outfit. So many layers to dive into.
- Actionmen / Dead Nect - Defections split - Two of the best skatepunk bands on the planet. Especially Actionmen is almost otherworldly in their anti-industrial way to write and play their music. Face melting from first to last.
- Microwave - Death is a Warm Blanket - What a welcoming development from this band that now have taken "weezercore" and molded it into something dark, deep and almost numetal sounding.
- Press Club - Wasted Energy - It is impressive how these endearing Australians have been able to consistently churn out only bangers for two albums straight. The energy and feels are through the roof and they are in the competition for becoming the greatest live act in the world.
- Not On Tour - Growing Pains - Speaking of bangers, this face melting pop factory have really re-discovered their sound with a slightly new lineup and the precise delivery of shredding and catchy vocals is tighter than ever before.
2. What band did you discover in 2019 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
Screaming Females. They totally took me by surprise on this year's FEST and even though I was having a rough day they still intrigued me enough to stay throughout the show and I have been streaming their library steadily for the last couple of weeks.
3. How will you remember 2019? (In terms of music)
A lot of smaller bands I was into ceased to exist for some reason, or barely exist anymore only playing rarely, which makes me a bit sad. On the bright side there are more really cool underground festivals in Europe than ever which makes it very exciting to tour as well as book your holiday around the mainland + UK.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2020?
My band Forever Unclean are working hard on writing the last couple of tunes for our next release which will be out in 2020 at some point. Simultaneously we are building a new studio in Copenhagen which will hopefully have us become active in the music scene in even more ways than we already are.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2020?
I honestly don't know. I try and stay out of the loop since I want to be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.
6. What is your favorite way to pass time while on tour? Any apps, podcasts, etc you're into?
Conversing with my best mates and listening to new music that we just discovered the night before.