Iron Lung Records (Jensen)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2019? (In order 1-5)
- Eddy Curren Suppression Ring - All In Good Time LP (Castle Face)
- Pornography Glows - s/t MLP (Violent Pest)
- Flowdan - Full Metal Jacket MP3 (Tru Thoughts)
- Nosferatu - Solution A LP (Media Disease)
- Padmanaba/Strongman Duo - Americana Raga LP (Good Karma Bad Karma)
- Heterofobia - Queremos Ver El Mundo Arder LP (Drunken Sailor)
2. What band did you discover in 2019 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
I had heard of Steve Reich a few different times over the years and tried out the recordings here and there but it never really clicked until this year. It always seemed that I wasn't in the right head space for it when I listened or that it was a little too smart for me. I had the opportunity to see a couple of the pieces performed live in a more educational setting and it really blew me away. "Clapping" was the song that did it for me. So simple and graceful. It was a marvel to see two people really going at it clapping at each other, sweating and concentrating, eyes closed purely listening to the ever twisting alternating syncopated rhythms. I was changed. It will still take me a while to fully understand what SR is messing with but I will enjoy the journey as it unfolds.
3. How will you remember 2019? (In terms of music)
The year I got to just be a singer in a band. That is the most free I've ever felt on a stage. Scary free.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2020?
New albums from IRON LUNG, NASTI, and INNUMERABLE FORMS. And of course there will be a ton of releases on the label to look forward to. SMUT MLP, LUKE SICK CS, INTERNAL ROT LP, and SHRINKWRAP KILLERS 7" are all at the plant now.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2020?
I expect great things from BRAIN TOURNIQUET and RUDIMENTARY PENI in 2020.
6. What is your favorite way to pass time while on tour? Any apps, podcasts, etc you're into?
Sleeping. For me there just never seems too be enough time to actually rest. Any time I'm awake, I'm working.