ACWay (Sutekh Hexen)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2014? (In order 1-5)
- Burial Hex - The Hierophant
What can I say? Album of the year for sure.
- The Bug - Angels and Devils
His most on point to date. Amazing LP showing his more spacey side as well as his harder side. Futurist dub/noise/dancehall/grime for your fucking face!
- Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry
You never know what to expect from these guys, and a return to a more straight forward black metal style WAS unexpected, especially after the last couple releases...BUT LO...brilliance
- Harald Grosskopf - The Synthesist
EPIC EPIC EPIC reissue (on a couple labels this year...) of a progressive electronic CLASSIC. Arpeggiated beauty.
- Z (or ZED, as it's called in europe) - Visions of Dune
Another reissue of a progressive electronic classic. Bernard Szajner's first solo LP. And as you can guess its a soundtrack to Frank Herbert's Dune. But before David Lynch filmed it. I am sure he knew about Jodorosky's plans for it (he WAS Magma's sound tech) but this has nothing to do with that. Just a brilliant analog synth soundtrack to an imaginary movie.
2. What band did you discover in 2014 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
Czes?aw Nieman. Prog/psych/rock/blues/electronic HERO of the polish scene in the '60s onward. I will be honest and say that I don't like ALL his work, BUT. the record I do get into I LOVE. I have come back to him again and again this year, always finding new gems in the back catalog. Want to get started? Try "Katharsis" (under the moniker N.AE). An analog synth weirdo masterpiece. Fuck, this guy has reverberated with me so much this year.
3. How will you remember 2014? (In terms of music)
This year has been EXTREMELY productive. That's how I will remember it, even though most of that output will come out next year..
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2015?
Well a new Sutekh Hexen for starters. The debut of my "new" solo project THOABATH will come out shortly. as well as a whole grip of splits. I am also currently working on the new Negative Standards LP, as well as a bunch of stuff that I cant talk about yet. '15 will be a big year.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2015?
Well, I don't follow releases like I used to (OLD) but I cant wait to see what Blut Aus Nord does next for one.
6. What trend will you forever associate with 2014 in music?
Trend? Shoegaze. AGAIN. And minimal synth. AGAIN. I swear the revival cycles are getting shorter.