Roo Pescod (Bangers)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2014? (In order 1-5)
- Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else
Tim from Woahnows introduced me to Cloud Nothings on tour in March and I immediately downloaded their last two records when I got home. Totally awesome.
- Caves - Leaving
I think Caves have a really hip thing going on right now, and this album seems to be a culmination of them finding their feet in a really good way. I’m going to miss those guys.
- The Lawrence Arms - Metropole
I wasn’t 100% convinced about Metropole at first, but I’ve ended up listening to it loads since touring with TLA and I’ve grown to love it.
- The Hold Steady - Teeth Dreams
Not The Hold Steady’s best album, but still easily better than most bands.
- Rash Decision - Seaside Resort to Violence
This album just really shreds and sounds awesome.
2. What band did you discover in 2014 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
I hadn’t listened to Cold Cave before 2014, and everything I’ve heard by them sounds so cool. "Underworld USA" has been my song of the year and it just makes me feel like a very cool dude to walk around my seaside town with this dark disco groove pounding through my head. That whole album is sexy as hell.
3. How will you remember 2014? (In terms of music)
This is tough for me because I’ve felt pretty divorced from music and the punk scene this year. I listened to a lot of jazz and Tom Waits and tried to just enjoy it in a really passive way rather than thinking about making it all the time. Oh, I got into Fleetwood Mac this year too, also courtesy of Woahnows.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2015?
Bangers are recording a new album in March and it’s probably going to be our best ever. I would imagine we’re going to be fairly quiet on the touring front, so that 2 month US tour we’re always been dreaming about probably isn’t going to happen. I’m also releasing a cassette called Bloody Hell which is going to be a collection of all my solo piano/bass/percussiony stuff.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2015?
Two of my favourite people are recording their albums at the moment, so I’m highly anticipating albums from Kelly Kemp and Sam Russo.
6. What trend will you forever associate with 2014 in music?
The students I work with all seem to listen to Queen, but the only club in town plays awful drum and bass. What a stupid world.