Deaf Club (Brian Amalfitano)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2020? (In order 1-5)
- Metz - Atlas Vending
- Idles - Ultra Mono
- Clipping - Visions Of Bodies Being Burned
- Thurston Moore - By The Fire
- Wasted Shirt - Fungus II
2. What band did you discover in 2020 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
Party Dozen. As a two piece they just get an incredible sound. I love listening to drummers first and foremost. Drummers make bands for me. I’ve had a lot more time to play the drums this year and watching Jonathan Boulet play (his style/his use of samplers) is inspiring me to think outside of the box a bit more stylistically when playing.
3. How will you remember 2020? (In terms of music)
It’s honestly been a blur. The pandemic seems to have sucked us into a time warp. It’s made making music harder in some ways but also just focused some of us into creating/finishing up those things we always talk about finishing.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2021?
Deaf Club is wrapping up some LP stuff, artwork, videos, mixing etc. We did some other things that I can’t really say yet.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2021?
- Tropical Fuck Storm
6. Trying to put a positive spin on things, what is your favorite development from the global pandemic this year? (Is there a new medium you enjoy, a specific song or collaboration, personal news, etc. that was a bright spot?)
The bright spot is no one gave up on creating. Everyone I know is still making music. I really dig Tropical Fuck Storm’s cover of Talking Heads “Heaven” and pretty much anything they do. I’m learning the ukulele. Playing drums a lot more. There’s an infinite amount of things to look forward to learning, reading, hearing.