Iron Lung Records (Jensen)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2020? (In order 1-5)
- Rudimentary Peni - Wilfred Owen The Chances 7" (Sealed)
- Morwan - Zola-Zemlya (Feel It)
- Volya - It Is Too Early To Thank God (Breathing Problem)
- Naujawanan Baidar - Volume 1 & 2 2xLP (Feeding Tube/Cardinal Fuzz)
- The Cosmic Sand Dollars - Requiem For Kind Dick LP (Old Comet)
2. What band did you discover in 2020 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
I stumbled on to a cover of "Nowhere To Run" by Tina Harvey a few months back. The production is stripped down to nothing and her voice really carries the whole tune. Doesn't really even need instruments but what is there only adds to the absolutely haunting quality this song has. There is a desperation in there that is almost alien it's so intense yet feels very familiar at the same time. I'm sure being trapped in the house made feelings of no escape especially relevant too.
3. How will you remember 2020? (In terms of music)
For there being a global pandemic keeping most people stuck at home there has been an unprecedented amount of new music released in 2020. I fully expected there to be nothing new except for solo projects and electronic music: you know, shit you can make at home, alone. Not even close. So many good new records out this year. Many more to come. Our label has had its busiest year ever and all of it totally kills.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2021?
In addition to an onslaught of new music from the roster, we have finally nailed down a couple of reissues that we've been working on for ages. INSECT WARFARE - World Extermination (oddly fitting for the times, eh?) is finally getting a proper LP reissue. It has been entirely too long. And we are super, super stoked to be doing a 2xLP of 1982 studio sessions for Iceland's VONBRIGÐI entitled Hanagal, which is the name of the studio they recorded them in. Except for a 4-song EP and a track on a movie soundtrack, none of this stuff has ever been released before and it is amazing music.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2021?
Will this be the year that the DEAD BLACK LP finally gets released? That will be an absolute devastator. I have finally heard the GEHENNA - Negative Hardcore album in its entirety and it is, quite simply, the best GEHENNA release there will be. That band defies all logic and expectation.
6. Trying to put a positive spin on things, what is your favorite development from the global pandemic this year? (Is there a new medium you enjoy, a specific song or collaboration, personal news, etc. that was a bright spot?)
I ate a lot cookies this year and they tasted really good. Oh, and the sun came out for a couple days this summer. I almost had to wear shorts.