SpiritWorld (Stu Folsom)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2020? (In order 1-5)
- Old 97s - Twelfth
- Pillars of Ivory - Genesis Demo
- AWOLNATION - Angel Miners & the Lightning Riders
- Ghostmane - ANTI-ICON
- Of Feather and Bone - Sulfuric Disintegration
2. What band did you discover in 2020 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
The Moore Family Band! My buddy Randy Moore just put out a record on Asian Man with his little brother and his super talented sister singing her ass off called Missy. The songs are brilliant. It is soooo god damn infectious it had me smiling and humming along immediately! I didn't realize I needed it in my life but it immediately filled a sugary, garage punk void in my soul!!!
3. How will you remember 2020? (In terms of music)
Putting out an album and watching a ton of my favorite songwriters sit on their couches and perform little "Storytellers"-esque versions of some of my favorite albums. Longest I have ever gone in my life without going to a show of some kind so it was cool to see so many artists pivot and still find a way to connect with people. Big shout outs to Hayes Carll, Rhett Miller and Brian Fallon for keeping me entertained on the reg.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2021?
I would like to say playing some killer shows but who knows! I have a new batch of twangy punk rock songs mixed and mastered that will be coming out. I also finished the writing of a new full-length of thrash and death metal songs that I will start recording at some point. Just keeping busy and using songwriting to keep me motivated and inspired.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2021?
Lucero has a new record coming out I'm stoked on. Looking forward to the new Susto and Michigan Rattlers albums. Can't wait for the new Languish album and WristMeetRazor record. I'm so impressed with Justin Fornof and company, I can't wait for people to hear their new album!
6. Trying to put a positive spin on things, what is your favorite development from the global pandemic this year? (Is there a new medium you enjoy, a specific song or collaboration, personal news, etc. that was a bright spot?)
I used the lockdown to get back on the university horse and knocked out six more classes at UNLV toward my degree. Finished my first collection of fiction stories and put out a record I am really proud of. I am really grateful for all the time I got to spend in my kitchen making food with my honey, listening to the Menzingers. We have never spent so much time indoors kicking it! It was great to hang out and edit a book together, get a crazy-ass new cat, and watch a bunch of great films!