Broadway Calls (Ty Vaughn - guitar/vocals)
1. What are your top five albums that were released in 2020? (In order 1-5)
- Broadway Calls - Sad In The City
- SPICE - s/t
- Lo Tom - LP2
- Deftones - Ohms
- Wonderly Road - s/t
2. What band did you discover in 2020 (can be a brand new band or an older band) that had an impact on your life? What made them significant?
I’d never heard Idles before this year. They have some killer songs. Show Me The Body probably had the biggest impact as far as dragging me back into hardcore. They’re everything I want in a hardcore band. Creative and heavy as fuck with really interesting vocals.
3. How will you remember 2020? (In terms of music)
I’m going to remember this as the year of Sad In The City. We made my favorite Broadway Calls record, and even though we never got to play the songs at a show, we got together as often as we could to play the record in its entirety in Josh’s garage. We’ve never made a record where we want to play every song on it every time we get together until this one. 2020 sucked but at least we don’t all live across the country from each other.
4. What can we look forward to from you in 2021?
Really depends on what happens. I fear it will just be a repeat of 2020, but people won’t have Trump to blame everything on, so people will get even more lost and depressed. Hope not!! Hope I’m wrong!! If we can play shows, we will be playing as much as possible.
5. What records are you looking forward to most in 2021?
Please for the love of fuck and all things good can we get a new Dead To Me record?!
6. Trying to put a positive spin on things, what is your favorite development from the global pandemic this year? (Is there a new medium you enjoy, a specific song or collaboration, personal news, etc. that was a bright spot?)
Honestly, it’s been incredible to just be home with family. In 2019 I was fucking miserable because I was working 6 days a week at a job I hated. I’ll never work a job like that again, and the perspective of how important it is to spend time at home has been crucial. Oh, and we started a podcast that might get us in a little trouble, so that’s been fun.